Use this tool to collect information from parents and caregivers of students about active transportation habits, perception of obstacles related to active transportation and perception of traffic safety or danger around schools.
Understanding why parents, caregivers and students may or may not use active transportation to school will help you choose evidence-based interventions that are likely to be effective in your community.
When to use this questionnaire
- This questionnaire should be given to parents and caregivers at the beginning of the school year and collected as soon as possible.
- This will be available online or can be used as an engagement tool between ERS team and caregiver.
- If your school is interested in seeing whether or not traffic safety perceptions have changed, you can do a follow-up questionnaire after your interventions.
How to use this tool
- Have parents and caregivers of students answer the questionnaire by either filling in the blanks, checking the most appropriate answer, and ranking where applicable.
- Anyone who is not a parent – such as a paid nanny, an older sibling, a grandparent, a neighbour – should be classified as “guardian” for the purposes of the questionnaire.